– learn about the significance of ‘Sawm and the virtue of the month of Ramadan
– appreciate that the purpose of Sawm is to learn piety and to cleanse our hearts, minds and bodies of all filth and evil.
– realize that fasting places man on a special spiritual plane for one month so that he may be better able to lead the life of a true devotee of Allah and a true lover of humanity
– discover that Ramadan is a blessed month in which the rewards for good deeds are multiplied over and over
– understand that ‘Sawm awakens in man the feeling of gratitude to Allah, develops self-control, helps us overcome bad habits and evil desires, generates concern for poor and hungry, creates a sense of equality between the rich and the poor and us to remain truly obedient to Allah.