Before commencing Salaah ensure that you are in a state of Wuduu’ (ritual purity).
Also ensure that all the preconditions of salaah are observed (eg. Cleanliness of the Body, Cleanliness of the Place, Correct Salaah time, etc.)
The method of Salaah is as follows:
1) Stand upright on your musallaa (also called a sajjaadah – prayer mat) facing the Qiblah. Your feet should be parallel & a hand-space apart. (Women & girls will keep their feet together.)
2) Say your Niyyah (intention) either verbally or in your mind. The Niyyah is said as follows:
“O Allah! I intend performing 2 Fard raka’aat of Salaat al-Fajr to gain your pleasure and reward.”
15) While in Sajdah, recite the Tasbiih (Glorification) of Sajdah thrice:
… returning to the Qiyaam posture. This completes one Rak’ah of Salaah.
20) The second Rak’ah should be performed exactly as the first, excluding the Thanaa’ and Ta’awwuzh (ie. repeat steps 7-18). Also, after Suurah Al-Faatihah, a different (descending) Suurah (ie. step 9) will be read in the second Rak’ah – Eg. Suurah Al-’Ikhlaas :
NB: In a three Rak’ah Salaah (as in Maghrib) or a four Rak’ah Salaah (Zhuhr, ‘Asr and ‘Ishaa’) you will stand up for the remaining raka’aat after the Tashah’hud. But for a two Rak’ah Salaah you will remain seated after the Tashah’hud and proceed to the next step. (This will be clarified later)
26) Recite the Salawaat Ibraahiimiy (Abrahamic Benedictory Prayer) while still in the Qa’dah Akhiirah posture.