Istinja’ means washing the private parts after passing urine or stool. Istinja’ is done with water and toilet paper. Istinja’ can also be done with pebbles if no water or toilet-paper is available. The one who does not do Istinja’ is not Tahir, pure and clean. The method of Istinja’ and visiting the toilet is as follows:
1) Before entering the toilet recite this du‘a’ or supplication:
2) Enter the toilet with the left foot first.
3) Sit down when passing urine or stool.
4) Using the left hand, wipe the private parts with toilet-paper first.
5) Wash the private parts with water, using the left hand again. You may use soap as well.
6) Dry the private parts with toilet paper, again with the left hand.
7) Wash both hands with water and soap.
8) Leave the toilet with the right foot first.
9) Recite this du‘a’ after leaving the toilet:
“I seek your pardon (O Allah!). All Praise be to Allah Who
has removed discomfort from me and granted me relief.”
Allah said in the Quran:
Do not stand [for prayer] within it – ever. A mosque founded on righteousness from the first day is more worthy for you to stand in.
Within it are men who love to purify themselves; and Allah loves those who purify themselves. (At-Tawbah 9:108)
O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of janabah, then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and do not find water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and hands with it. Allah does not intend to make difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful. (Surah Al-maidah 6)
our Beloved Prophet(pbuh) said:
It is narrated by abu hureyrah (ra) that “the prophet (pbuh) would wash with water after relieving himself.” (using the bathroom) and “none of you should wash himself with his right hand when using the toilet.”