Cleansing the private parts (the genitals and the anus) thoroughly after relieving oneself (ie. passing urine or stool) is called Istinja’.
Istinja’ is an important part of Taharah and personal hygiene.
Anyone who neglects to perform Istinja’ commits a grave sin and will be punished by Allah.
Once the Holy Prophet Muhammad [s] passed by two graves and said:
“The two people buried here are experiencing a painful punishment for being negligent about two simple things. One of them did not cleanse himself properly (ie.perform Istinja’ ) after urinating, and the other had a habit of back-biting.”
Istinja’ is done with water and toilet -paper.
Istinja’ can also be done with pebbles or inexpensive pieces of cloth if no water or toilet-paper is available.
Use an odd number of pebbles – 3,5, etc.
Istinja’ may not be done with paper, pieces of metal, bone, glass, coal, dung, the skins of fruit and the like nor with those liquids which cannot be used for washing like vinegar, fruit juice, milk, etc.
Things like like hay and plants & leaves that are used as animal fodder may not be used for istinja’ either.
Zam zam water too may not be used for istinja’.
As a general rule any useful or sacred thing may not be used for cleaning the private parts.
The one who does not do Istinja’ is not Tahir, pure and clean.
He may not perform salah nor touch the Holy Qur’an, even after performing wudu’.
We have already learnt the method of Istinja’ and visiting the toilet in grade one. Let us revise the basic rules:
1) Before entering the toilet recite the following du‘a’:
2) Enter the toilet with the left foot first.
3) Sit down when passing urine or stool.
4) Using the left hand, wipe the private parts with toilet-paper first.
5) Wash the private parts with water, using the left hand again. You may use soap as well.
6) Dry the private parts with toilet paper, again with the left hand.
7) Wash both hands with water and soap.
8) Leave the toilet with the right foot first.
9) Recite this du‘a’ after leaving the toilet: