There are eleven Waajib acts in Salaah’. If any Waajib act is omitted, the musallii (person performing salaah) will have to perform Sajdah Sahw (Prostration of Forgetfulness) which are two extra sajdahs at the end of the Salaah for the Salaah still to be valid. The eleven Waajibaat are:
1) Reciting the Suurah al-Faatihah specifically.
2) Reciting any other suurah, or three short aayaat (verses) or one long aayah (verse) from the Qur’aan after Suurah al-Faatihah.
3) Performing the postures of Salaah in the correct sequence.
4) Standing in Qawmah (brief standing posture) after Rukuu’ before going into Sajdah.
5) Sitting in Jalsah (brief sitting posture) between the two Sajdah’s and then performing the second Sajdah.
6) Sitting in the Qa’dah Uulaa (first long sitting posture) after performing two raka’aat (prayer cycles) in that Salaah which contains more than two raka’aat. (NB: This will be clarified later)
7) Reciting the Tashah’hud (Testimony of Devotion) in both Qa’dah Uulaa and Qa’dah Akhiirah.
8) Completing the Salaah with the words “AsSalaamu ‘Alaykum”.
9) Performing the entire Salaah unhurriedly.
10) Reciting the Du’aa Qunuut in Witr Salaah. (NB: This will be clarified later)
11) For the lmaam to recite the Qiraa’ah aloud in the first two raka’aat of the Fard Salaahs of Fajr, Maghrib, ‘Ishaa’ and Jum’ah Salaah. (NB: This will be clarified later)