THE THIRTEEN SUNAN OF WUDU’
There are thirteen Sunnah acts in wudu’. If any Sunnah is omitted, the wudu’ will still be valid, but the full thawab (reward) will not be gained.
The thirteen Sunan are:
1) Reciting the Niyyah (intention) before commencing.
2) Reciting Bismillah…
3) Washing the hands, including the wrists, thrice.
4) Brushing the teeth with a miswak (tooth stick).
5) Gargling the mouth thrice.
6) Rinsing the nostrils thrice.
7) Passing wet fingers through the beard. The Arabic word for this act is khilal.
8) Passing the wet fingers of one hand through the fingers of the other as well as the toes. In other words, khilal of the fingers and toes.
9) Washing each part of the body which has to be washed when performing wudu’ thrice. This obviously excludes masah of the head which must only be done once.
10) Wiping (masah) of the whole head once.
11) Wiping (masah) of the ears.
12) Performing all the acts of wudu’ in the correct sequence.
13) Washing each part of the body immediately so that no portion the dries before the next step is completed.